I arrived home yesterday after five weeks of travel.
The trip took me to Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Finland, Estonia (briefly) and Russia. It was a great trip and I can’t wait to visit that part of the world again, so much more to see and do.
The highlights of the trip:
- Helicopter flight over a bay full of Icebergs into Tasiilaq
- Sailing amongst icebergs off Tasiilaq
- The glorious east fjords of Iceland complete with northern lights
- The Flam railway in Norway
- Visiting the house of Finnish architect Alvar Aalto
- The Hermitage and Mariinsky ballet in St Petersburg.
Next time, more of Finland and maybe Lapland and Svalbard.
The image below shows the view from my hotel window in Tasiilaq, Greenland. There is no road access, the only way in is by boat or helicopter, or by hiking for several days across a ridge, as a Danish couple did. And yes, that white thing on the right is an iceberg floating in the harbour.